Sunday, October 09, 2005

I'm Free

My friends stayed up late last night. They were watching TV until four in the morning and I guess they decided to sleep in this morning. I was a little bored and had slept all night, so when I woke up, I was ready to hit the day. I made a lot of noise around the house until one of my friends came downstairs. We said hello and exchanged pleasantries before I headed off to spend the day outdoors.

These cool fall days are perfect. I’ve had a lot of them over my life and I wish they would never stop. The cool breeze brings fresh air, the warm sun keeps me a little toasty sometimes, but then it feels good when I’m laying on the deck and listening to the birds and watching the leaves fall.

I couldn’t have it any better. It is Saturday, all my chores are done for the week, I’ve had a good breakfast and I think I’ll spend the day exploring, maybe a little hunting this afternoon and then tonight I’ll plan on just relaxing. I guess I’ll have to pace myself, this getting old thing is bothersome to say the least. I remember when I was younger, I could run around all day and not get tired. Oh, the excitement of youth.

Now, I’m a little slower and have to take my time getting up and down the stairs, I don’t catch everything I’m told and I worry whether my friends are going to be alright. I love them so much, they have always been the best of friends. We’ve had our disagreements - as all friends do - but we always make up and we have a relationship few ever really get to know. I am truly blessed to know them.

Oh what a glorious day! The sun is shinning through the trees and the crisp air is invigorating. I think I’ll try to run a little. But I’m a little dizzy and my hip is acting up again, so I’ll try to take it easy. Ever since the Dr told me about my heart and lungs, I’ve had to slow it down a good bit. I’m not the young pup I used to be - so they say. I’m not sure what exactly “congestive heart failure” is but I know it doesn’t sound good. I took my pills this morning just like the Dr ordered and as long as I don’t push it, I should be OK.

Whew - what a run - I’m all out of breath! But it feels good to do it - in spite of what the Dr says. The freedom, the wind in your face, the goal attained. I love this time of year and I love my day.

I’m weak now though, so I better take a nap before doing too much. Seems like the older I get, the longer the naps seem to last. That’s Ok though. I could lay in this wonderful sun all day long. It doesn’t matter, my friends left a few minutes ago to do some shopping and errands. They’ll be back around suppertime and we’ll spend the evening together as we always do, watching TV and eating snacks. I’d like to go with them but they left in the sports car and there is only room for two… that leaves me out. But I wanted to do some hunting this afternoon anyway - so its all good by me. Sometimes its good for a man to be alone - especially on a day like today.

Wow, the nap lasted all day. Its getting a little chilly and my friends aren’t home yet. I didn’t get to spend much time hunting anything but maybe I can chase up a rabbit or a squirrel before dinner. I’m not much in the mood for anything larger and at my age - I would have to wonder who won the hunt!

What fun, what fun, I’ve been chasing that rodent all over the farm. I can’t get a good shot at them what with my age and poor eyesight - but the hunt is where the fun is anyway. That dizziness is back along with a headache. Maybe I’ll take a couple of aspirins when I get in - probably do my heart good as well. I hate it when the sickness comes on, I get real nauseous and I have to be careful what I eat. Sometimes the room just spins and I have to lay down and try not to move.

Well my friends are back, the day is almost over and there is a familiar autumn chill in the air. I was getting cold, so coming inside was a good idea. But the more I walked, the more I could tell I had overdone it today. It may take several hours to get over this dizziness this time. I’m feeling sick. Debbie offered me some cheese sticks but not the way I’m feeling right now. Maybe later, when my appetite returns. I just want to lay here and be left alone for a while. Maybe the room will stop spinning. I can’t seem to catch my breath. It gets harder and harder to get a full breath. I turn onto my side to relieve the pressure on my chest. They always say it isn’t good to sleep on your stomach anyway.

There - that’s a bit better. I can get a breath - but it’s still short. My nose is running and I think I may be coming down with something. There’s my friend Jon. He’s coming in to check on me. He gives me a little comfort but I wish he’d just leave me alone. I don’t feel like his usual banter, but its nice to know he cares. I just want to sleep, I’m so tired. I lay here and think of all the good times we’ve had, I try to make myself feel better. This time it isn’t helping, I really feel sick.

I remember the first time I met them - I was grinning from ear to ear, we were fast friends from day one. Uuughh, my head hurts. I’m going to close my eyes and try to sleep. If I could just get a breath of air. My breathing is shallow and it takes all I can do to just catch a little air. I wonder if I should try to get to the Dr or even the emergency room. I can’t do that by myself, but I don’t want to bother them either.

Maybe in the morning I’ll feel like going on that hunt. Right now I feel myself drifting off to sleep. Finally, I’m going to get some rest. My chest feels tight but I’m drifting now. WHAT, COUGH, WHAT? I can’t breath, COUGH, COUGH. UUUGH.
------v^v---v--^---v-------v----^-----------V V----------------V--------------------------------
What was that? I don’t know - but whatever I coughed up sure did me a lot of good. I don’t feel my chest anymore, I feel like a young man. The dizziness is gone. My head is clear. That nap did me a lot of good. I’m free. I’m free. The pain is gone. My hips don’t hurt. My back is healed. I can run, I am free. All Praise to my Creator for He alone is worthy. I am free!



The Doberman Pinscher Jazz
d: October 9 2005 12:05AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home